Friday, August 1, 2008

Child Hood



I was born in Sep 1935. I was born after a painful tragedy in the family. The tragic sudden death of my two years old brother Ramachndran affectionately called Immpotti, by chocking was a great shock to the entire family members.Before medical aid could be given, the child was chocked to death after he swallowed a button. Since I was born after the death of the child, I was given undue love by all members of the family. At my age of two my mother gave birth to Sukumaran
When Sukumaran was a few months old my father left for Malaya. He was a graduate in Chemistry from Trivandrum University College. After graduation he wanted to go to Malaya. Those days Malaya( present Malaysia) was a promising land for job seekers.I and my mother could not accompany as my brother Sukumaran was a few months old then. Perhaps my mother could not look after both the children she sent me to my grandmother ,father's mother in Muthukulam.

My father’s father Ayyappan Pillai was a Headmaster in a primary school and he was a busy man. But my grandmother had time to look after me. She loved me a lot and she wanted me to be with her. I was in Muthu kulam till I, mother and Sukumaran left for Malaya in 1939. Occasionally I was taken to Karavallil to see my mother and the baby. A few days before we left for Malaya, my mother and Sukumaran came to see me in Muthukulam to take me back. I wanted to show the two year old Sukumaran the ducks in the pond. I took him to the near pond. I was holding him. The pond was full of water. He slipped from my hand and fell in the pond.

All members of the house were in chatting mode.. They did not know what happened. I shouted with full throat.

The ladies in the house heard my crying, and under stood that something serious. One or two ladies jumped inside the pond, and took the child out safely. It could have been another tragedy in the family after the tragic death of my elder brother. I could save my younger brother "with full throat crying" to get help. Perhaps my crying saved the child. Crying is a most powerful weapon or language for the weak or children.Crying is the most effective way babies have of communicating their needs When a child cries excessively it may sound abnormal or it may sound unusual.I think there are two circuits in human brain that create cry and laughter. No serious study is known to have been made to understand the mechanism in human brain to induce laughter and crying.

No comments: